Introduction to the AAU Taekwondo Coaches Certification Course
The AAU Taekwondo Online Coaches Certification is required annually in order to coach at any sanctioned AAU Taekwondo event, including non-qualifying tournaments. This certification is for the current competition year only (September 1 – August 31). Certification/Recertification is required each year. No one will be allowed to coach without successfully completing this online course. Anyone that will be 14 or older on December 31 (new age determining date as of 2016) of the current calendar year may take this course and upon passing will be allowed to coach at any AAU Taekwondo event. The cost of the Coaches’ Course and Certification is $50. This fee must be paid during the registration process that precedes the beginning of the Coaches’ Online Certification. A Coaches’ Certification Card will be emailed to the email address supplied immediately upon completing the Coaches Online Certification. You also will have the ability to print or re-print your card at any time after completing the course. This card may be requested at any AAU licensed event; along with a photo ID as proof the certification course was completed.
Officials will be required to attend an annual Officials’ Clinic. The Officials’ clinic fee is $35. Those wishing to both coach and officiate must take the Online Coaches Course as well as attend the Officials’ Clinic. The $35 Officials’ Clinic fee will be waived for those that first take the Online Coaches’ Course. To have the fee waived, bring a copy of the Coaches Certification Card to the Official’s Clinic. Dates, locations and registration forms for the Officials’ Clinics can be found on the AAU Taekwondo website.
It is mandatory that a current photo be downloaded to the clinic website every year. Previous photos are not stored in the system. It is recommended that before beginning the online course, a .jpg digital photo of the coach be available on the computer being used for taking the online clinic. Photo should be taken from the shoulders up, no hats or sunglasses and must be a passport quality photo like example shown here. The photo can be downloaded to the clinic website any time during or after completing the clinic.
If a coach does not supply a photo that meets the criteria outlined above, upon attending any National Events (AAU Taekwondo National Championship, AAU Junior Olympic Games, or Team Trials) he/she will be required to pay an additional fee at the time of Coaches check-in for AAU Taekwondo to process a photo which will be used on the coach’s badge/credentials.
Coaches will no longer be allowed to have someone else pick up their coach’s badge/credentials. The badge will only be given to the person whose photo appears on the badge. Any badge found in the possession of a coach, other than the coach whose photo appears on the badge, will be confiscated.
Some AAU Taekwondo events and all AAU Taekwondo National events require additional fees for coach’s credentials/floor passes allowing coach’s privileges to that particular event. Review information packets for each event that you will be attending for further requirements. At all national events an application and fee must be submitted by a certain deadline for participation as a coach. Event information packets will contain that information. Information on dates and places for AAU Taekwondo events can be found by clicking the ‘Tournaments/Events’ tab on the left at www.aautaekwondo.org.
All coaches must wear the proper attire as documented in the AAU Taekwondo rule book and in the information in this online clinic. The Official AAU Taekwondo Coaches Shirt must be worn by all coaches on the floor at AAU Taekwondo events. Click the AAU TKD Vendor Banner at the top of the AAU Taekwondo website to order your AAU Taekwondo Coaches Shirt.
This Online Certification Course will take approximately one to two hours of your time. A reading of the current AAU Taekwondo Rulebook prior to beginning this clinic is strongly recommended. Once you have begun the course it is very important to thoroughly reading the material within the Online Course. A focused reading of the course material will help with many of the interpretations and nuances of AAU Taekwondo competition. The questions that follow are all drawn from the reading material within this course. This clinic consists of 4 reading sections, each followed by a short quiz. (NOTE: Step #2 will give you the opportunity to take the sparring section of the course as either “Olympic style sparring only, Point style sparring only, or both”. By checking Olympic or Point only, you will take only 3 of the 4 sections, but you may only coach in whichever type you selected.) This Online Course is intended to insure that coaches have the basic information needed to prepare and assist their athletes for participation in AAU Taekwondo events.
Before beginning this online certification course, review the following:
1) Take a current photo. You will be required to download a .jpg or bmp file of passport-style photo to this online site which will be used in preparing coaches’ badges for all national level events. The file should be on the computer used when taking the course. During the registration process you will be able to download from your computer. The photo should be a headshot photo. There should be nobody else in the photo. The photo MUST be clear enough to easily recognize the person in the picture.
2) Read the current year hand book completely. Printed books are no longer being produced, but a complete book can be uploaded and/or printed from the AAU website at www.aautaekwondo.org.
3) Be prepared to pay the $50 fee for certification course with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover. There are no refunds for any reasons including failure to pass the online course or failure to participate in AAU Taekwondo events once certified.
4) Have your current year’s AAU Membership number available. AAU Membership runs from September 1 until August 31 of the current AAU competition year. Go to www.aausports.org for membership. $14 for Athletes 17 and under, $24 for Athletes 18 and up, and $16 for Coaches. Only one membership (the $24 athlete membership) is required for those that are both an Athlete and a Coach.
5) During the registration process for Online Certification use an email address that will allow you to receive a copy of the certification for printing. For those not successfully completing this course on their first attempt, use the username and password you created to revisit this site within seven days, in order to complete the course. Remember your username and password.
6) There are 4 sections to the course. Everyone MUST take the General Section and the Forms Section of the course. However if you only coach one type of sparring, you can choose to take the course only on that type of sparring. Each section is followed by a short quiz. You must complete three sections (if you chose only one type of sparring) or four sections if you choose both types of sparring.
7) After completing the course you will be shown a coaches certification card. You must print off your certification card and be prepared to present it if requested.
It is our hope that you will find this course to be very informative and convenient. Thank you for your participation in the AAU Taekwondo Program.
Get Started Now!
Proceed to the Online Coaches Certification